Monday 13 October 2014

Why is our generation so unsettled?


Beautiful Scotland from John Duncan on Vimeo.


The other day I was talking to a lovely lovely follower on tumblr who told me she was from Scotland, and being the sweetheart that she is, she sent me this wonderful video of Scotland for my pleasure when I told her I've been dreaming of going there for as long as I can remember. After that, I showed it to a friend and traveling was the only thing we talked about for a good couple of hours. As if those were big news. 

The thing is, is not the first time we've talked about leaving everything behind and traveling the world. And I know we're not the only ones. Blogs like Brooke's or Angel's are a crystal-clear proof of that fact. 

This generation is not easily satisfied with things that are supposed to be. I talk long hours and plenty of times with my friend Ali about how we want to do so much more, but we feel overwhelmed by the weight of all the things we already have to do. We both want to have a degree and work in a certain field, but at the same time, we're afraid we're not making the right decision. We know that now, it is possible to make a living in so many ways that we didn't even considered before, that we shake with the possibility of being wrong. We're both studying to get a degree in fields that are probably going to allow us to get in a good working position, but we also know the wide range of possibilities that are out there, waiting to be tested, and we both realize that probably we're missing out on wonderful things. 

Going to classes at university, then studying for long hours at home, studying another language (which we are both doing), my creative writing course, her horseback riding lessons, her playing the piano, our working out hours at the gym... And we still feel like we are not doing everything we want to. 


That's why we want to travel so badly. We want to get out of our comfort zone, because it's "easy" to be here, studying and getting everything done for us but we also want to be independent, to make things for ourselves. We want to have hours for leisurely reading and writing, for drawing, for going out, for traveling, for trying new things, for going to museums and concerts and for learning so many many new things. We feel overwhelmed by all of this at the same time that we're feeling disappointed with ourselves for not having the ability to just go with what we want. 


I keep telling myself that one day we'll pack every valuable thing we own and that we'll take a flight to the countries we've always wanted to visit, but then I keep making excuses and I feel like a coward. 


I just hope that one day I'll have the courage to do it, to say "fuck it" and stop being afraid of the consequences and just do the things I want to do. It's true that I want to become a doctor, but it's also true that I want to become a writer as well, and that I want to travel the world and see with my own eyes all those landscapes, to taste all those delicious dishes and to talk to all those wonderful people who live overseas, to know other cultures and get myself lost in streets of which I don't even know the name. 


I'm working on my two first desires, and I'm planning on traveling the world as soon as I finish my degree. I'm planning on going to study abroad, maybe to Germany or Denmark or maybe even Sweden (I'd love that) as my first steps. 


I'm young, I'm afraid, I'm determined and sick of this feeling of not being brave enough. But I know that one day, I'll be with a travel bag in my shoulders, feeling my mind free itself of all the fears of not doing anything, because I'll be doing what my soul most longs for. 




-----------------------------
What about you? What's that thing you keenly want to do
 but keep finding excuses to postpone? Do you think you'll do it someday? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment, you will make me happy. Maybe we don't know each other, but making others happy is always a great thing. You're the best.



blogger template by lovebird