Monday 20 October 2014

When memories keep us afloat



This is being such an stressful month. I have so many things to do at all hours of the day that sometimes I don't even now where to start, and everything becomes a bit overwhelming until I tell myself to calm the fuck down and get down to business. 

I already finished my CAE exams last weekend, so that's another thing ticked out of my list, but I have two more exams this week, classes on Saturday morning, anatomy practices (which are terrifying), lessons to attend, things to clean and, to top it all, my beloved resits of biochemistry next week and the week after that. Isn't life exciting. 

Sometimes I think that the only thing keeping me away from insanity after this wearing year of med school (and beginning of the second) are good memories. 

I took this photo the first night my friends and I spent at our Memorable Week of Laziness Near The Beach (that's what I'm calling it) during that amazing summer. Goodness. I had so much fun. 

We spent almost every waking hour (and when I say every waking hour, I mean almost every hour we spent there, because we didn't sleep) laughing and being silly and lazy together. Mind you, we cleaned and cooked and did all those necessary things, but watching movies, going to the beach, playing board games, jumping on our bed to naff music, eating and singing as if we were rock stars were our biggest preoccupations. 

We would sit on the terrace, with a hoodie on because it was just that deliciously chilly, to see the sunset over the roaring sea, and we would feel at peace with the world during those endless minutes. 

We would wake up after no more than two hours of sleep to have breakfast overlooking the waves and making plans for that day. We would sit out there after lunch to have our cup of tea and devourtaste those tasty blueberry muffins my friend baked for us and that are like having a piece of heaven in your mouth. We would just sit for a bit on the beach, listening to the seagulls over us and the sea in front of us, sunbathing and reading a good book, commenting the funniest or deepest parts, or just being there near each other, in a comfortable silence. 

It was all perfect. It was one of those periods of absolute relaxation that you need to reconnect with the world and with yourself. To step away from the internet and your responsibilities and your mobile phone and dead-lines and schedules during a week feels positively soul-healing. To be able to lay in a bed, surrounded of your dearest friends, covering yourself with a heavy fluffy duvet because the breeze that comes in trough the window is cool enough to freeze your toes while the sea lulls you to sleep (the little sleep we had, anyway) is the definition of happiness.

So when I feel like I'm becoming exhausted from the mad rush of daily life, I will pull out all of these memories, and I will wish and plan for the moment in which my friends and I can go in another of those balsamic trips in which is just you, people you love and nature for a bit. In which you feel like everything's going to be ok eventually. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment, you will make me happy. Maybe we don't know each other, but making others happy is always a great thing. You're the best.



blogger template by lovebird